Sunday, November 6, 2011

A Regular Guy's Thoughts and Opinions on the Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells


!±8± A Regular Guy's Thoughts and Opinions on the Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells

For anyone out there considering purchasing this equipment but not sure it's the right fit, this short critique should give you a good, honest insight on the pros and cons of Bowflex's SelectTech Dumbbells.

Note: this is my personal opinion on this product, I am not, nor have I ever been paid by Bowflex (let them know I wouldn't mind it though). I am just an average guy trying to stay in shape - probably just like you. I hope you'll find this article helpful.

Pros:

o Transition between one weight and another is relatively quick and easy (assuming you get the dials to line up right - see Cons)

o The rubberized hand grips conform to the hand well. They're much more comfortable then many dumbbells I've used at the gym

o Metallic stand/holder with rollers is a nice addition that allows you to conveniently store and move the dumbbells. You can even lock the rollers into place so the stand won't slide on you. It's an additional cost but well worth the money.

o No assembly required. I took them out of the box and started using them immediately.

o The dumbbells take a little getting used to, but most people will find it to be a short, easy learning curve.

o The dumbbells feel balanced, secure and stable. The weight plates aren't bouncing around or shifting from side to side, which could be dangerous. If you've ever lifted a dumbbell or barbell without firmly securing the weight plates with collars, you'll know what I am talking about.

o They don't require a huge amount of space.

o Call me crazy, but I like the clicking sound when you adjust the weights.

Cons:

o The dumbbells can be a little temperamental: if you don't click the dial exactly into place when adjusting the weight on the dumbbells (so it catches), you can't remove them off of the block. It's a good safety feature but it's annoying when you think you've selected 40

o I am not sure how they would have gotten around it, but you have to adjust the same weight on both sides of the dumbbell every time you switch to a new weight. For example, if you are going from a 25 lb to a 40 lb dumbbell, you have to adjust each side of the dumbbell to get 40 lbs - that's making 2 adjustments per dumbbell, 4 if you're using both.

o The weights are a little bulky in size compared to professional gym quality dumbbells of the same weight. My fiancé, who is petite refused to use them because they were too bulky and unwieldy.

o The weights aren't rubberized like some of the professional gym quality dumbbells - this probably would make them a little more durable. Personally I've never broken one of these in a couple of years but I take pretty good care of them. I a not entirely certain how durable these are, for several hundred dollars I'd rather not find out.

o Expensive for some budgets.

Bottom Line:

I'd give the Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells a green light - I would recommend them. They feel good to use, they look good and they do work well.

Sure they aren't perfect but if you're looking to have a complete weight set in the corner of your bedroom rather than filling up the entire garage, this might be a good option for you. The price tag for some might be a little high at a few hundred dollars. I bought mine on an online auction and saved some money. For the few hundred dollars I've spent on them, I've more than got my money's worth.

If you liked this article check out my other fitness product reviews:

A Regular Guy's Thoughts and Opinions on Tony Horton's P90X Exercise DVDs
An Unpaid, Unbiased Review of the Bowflex Revolution - What Bowflex Doesn't Tell You


A Regular Guy's Thoughts and Opinions on the Bowflex SelectTech Dumbbells

Prices Fleurville Mothership Bag Comparison Commercial Swiffer Cheep Yamaha Clavinova Price




No comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Fran�ais Deutsch Italiano Portugu�s
Espa�ol ??? ??? ?????







Sponsor Links